Students of history visited Vienna seat of the Teutonic Order
On 2 December 2012 students of history at the Jagiellonian University in the company of Professors: Michał Baczkowski and Stanisław A Sroka visited the seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order in Vienna.
The visitors could see the Treasury with the most valuable mementoes of the Order dating back to the 13th century. The main part of the visit was the meeting with Dr Bruno Platter, the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. In a short talk, the Head of the Order focused on the mission of the contemporary Teutonic Knights and gave an overview of the Order's main centres in the countries of Central Europe. He also stressed positive changes in the approach to the history of the Teutonic Knights, also noticed among Polish historians. In the conclusion, the Grand Master expressed his delight at the arrival of students of the oldest Polish university.
To thank for the warm welcome, the Polish delegation presented their Host with an album devoted to Collegium Maius written by Andrzej Nowakowski and Stanisław Waltoś.
The last part of the visit involved the tour of the archives with the presentation of the most important documents connected with the history of the Teutonic Order, e.g. the Treaty of Brześć Kujawski of 1435.
Polish text: Prof. Stanisław Andrzej Sroka
Photographs: Lidia Hyz
Published by: Mariusz Kopiejka