Zoology moves to a new address
Since October 2011 ul. Gronostajowa 9 is the most important address for the JU zoologists. It is there that the new premises of the JU Zoology Institute have been located. On 18 October the opening ceremony of the new building was held.
The new building is the most modern one at the Jagiellonian University. It consists of two rectangle-shaped segments with patios on the inside and has a floor area of 14 thousand square metres. The main wing contains the entrance area as well as rooms used for teaching and communication. The three side wings house the premises of the staff and the specialized laboratories. The building was designed by the Czora & Czora studio.
The Institute of Zoology has changed its premises many times. The first Chair in Zoology, founded in 1850, was located in Collegium Physicum at ul. Św. Anny 6. "Now, the modern building opens up new opportunities before the Institute," claimed Prof. Kazimierz Krzemień, the Dean of the Faculty of Biology and Earth Sciences.
"All the newly opened buildings provide chances for new science and new education," said the Rector of the Jagiellonian University, Prof. Karol Musioł. "You are provided with the world class conditions," he told the students, "make this building a real temple of science. Our University deserves it."
The building was blessed by Rev. Kazimierz Wyrwa and the ribbon was cut by Rector Karol Musioł, the Chairman of Re-Bau Firm, Andrzej Tombiński, Vice-rectors Szczepan Biliński and Piotr Tworzewski, the Head of the Institute of Zoology Henryk Głąb and Prof. Grzegorz Hess.
Published by: Kinga Mieszaniec