As in previous years, the contestants of the 8th edition of the Chain Experiment are supposed to build a device that will transport a metal ball from one place to another using as many physical laws and phenomena as possible. During the grand finale all the devices will be linked to form a chain and put into operation several times.
The competition aims to encourage students at all stages of education, as well as entire families to acquire physical knowledge while having fun. The Chain Experiment is a great occasion to get together, develop teamwork skills and understand many physical phenomena.
Constructing the device:
- the device must not exceed the space of a school desk
- the ball must be transferred in no less than 20 but no more than 120 seconds
- the complication level of the physical phenomena should match the age category of a given team
- the laws of physics can be both used to transport the ball and triggered by the ball as it moves
The devices will be evaluated based on:
- the number of physical phenomena involved along with the participants’ ability to explain them,
- the complexity and effectiveness of the mechanism
- creativity and esthetics.
The details, including the competition rules, along with the registration form, are available on the event’s website (Polish version only).
The registration deadline is 8 March 2020. The grand finale will take place on Saturday, 9 May 2020 in front of the premises of the JU Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Applied Computer Science.