Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Breadcrumb Breadcrumb

Web Content Display Web Content Display



An employment relationship between an academic teacher and the Jagiellonian University is established either by appointment (exclusive for holders of the title of professor) or an employment contract.


Hiring an academic teacher on more than a half-time basis (both for specified and unspecified period) is determined by a request for tenders. An academic teacher eligible for retirement may be re-hired at the same position without a request for tenders.


A request for tenders does not apply if the teacher is hired for a specified period of time and:

  • is going to be working at the university on the basis of an agreement with a foreign research institution;
  • is a beneficiary of a contest of the National Science Centre or the National Centre for Research and Development, or an international contest for a research project related to the teacher's specialisation;
  • is going to be working within the framework of a project funded by:
    • the European Union,
    • any other entity;
  • at the same position as before, if the previous employment contract was no shorter than three years.

A non-academic employee may be hired for a trial period, specified or unspecified period of time, or on the basis of a replacement contract. The employees' duties are determined by their superiors.

There are two conditions which need to be fulfilled by both academic and non-academic employee to be hired:

  • the employee must be fit to work at the position (determined after a Personal Capability Assessment by a certified doctor);
  • the employee must participate in and successfully complete the OHS training.

Employees are obligated to periodically undergo Personal Capability Assessments. Should an employee be unable to work for more than 30 days, they must also undergo additional assessments to determine whether they are is still fit to work at their position. The employer may not allow an employee to work without a positive opinion from a doctor.


Foreigners are  hired according to the same regulations as Polish citizens; however they must meet additional requirements related to hiring employees from the inside and outside of the European Union – i.e. a valid residence card or a work visa.

  1. Academic staff
    1. hiring foreign academic teachers does not require a permission from the Polish employment governing body;
    2. foreigners from outside of the European Union must possess a valid work visa;
    3. EU citizens are not required to possess a work visa;
    4. EU citizens working in Poland for more than three months are obligated to register their stay.
  2. Non-academic staff
    1. foreigners from outside of the European Union must acquire a permit from the Governor of the Małopolskie Voivodeship as well as a work visa or a residence permit from the Governor;
    2. EU citizens are not required to possess a work visa,
    3. EU citizens working in Poland for more than three months are obligated to register their stay.

The above mentioned rules apply regardless of the type of contract.

An employment relationship with a foreigner from outside of the European Union lasts until the expiration date of work visa or residence card. To extend the duration of the relationship, the validity period of a proper document must first be extended.

Foreigners hired on the basis of an employment contract or a contract of specific work are automatically charged for health and social insurance.

Foreigners possessing the A1 form are eligible for health and social insurance, but are not charged for it (provided they have a health insurance and a social insurance in their country of permanent residence).


An employee is entitled to a salary based on completed work. For non-working periods, the employees retain their right to a full salary only in following situations:

  • justified absence at the workplace;
  • paid leave;
  • inability to work due to sickness, maternity leave, or taking care of a sick family member.

The benefits of the employee include:

  • base remuneration (flat rate);
  • additional remuneration (based on work conditions, employee qualifications, job seniority etc. – for example: functional allowance, special duty allowance, service premium);
  • other benefits (rewards, severance payments, additional annual remuneration).

Social and health insurance

An employee hired on the basis of an appointment or an employment contract is automatically charged for health and social insurance.

Employee have a right to apply for health insurance for their unemployed spouse and children below the age of 18 (26 for children in education).

Outsourced personnel

Employees working on the basis of a contract of mandate without any other insurance entitlement, are automatically charged for pension, retirement pension, accident and health insurance for the period stated in the contract. Sickness insurance is not obligatory.

Insurance application at the Social Security Institution is submitted via contractor's declaration attached to the contract.

Contractor possessing a pension and retirement pension insurance due to a contract of mandate may apply for a health insurance for their family members.

Contracts of specific work with outsourced personnel are not submitted to the Social Security Institution.

Interpretation of EU law regarding social security

In the event of concurrence of insurance entitlements in several EU countries, employees leaving to work abroad receive the A1 form from the Office of Human Resources. The form must then be approved by the Social Security Institution and submitted to the foreign employer. Based on this form, the proper institution in the country will return the insurance premiums for the period stated in the document. This also applies to foreigners from the EU countries hired at the JU.

Leave entitlement

After meeting the requirements enumerated in the Higher Education Act, the Labour Code and special regulations, both academic and non-academic staff are entitled to leaves.

Academic staff leave entitlements:

  • holiday leave;
  • paid research leave (every 7 years);
  • PhD thesis research leave;
  • unpaid research leave;
  • training leave;
  • health leave;
  • special leave.

Non-academic staff leave entitlements:

  • holiday leave;
  • unpaid leave;
  • special leave;
  • training leave;
  • educational leave.

Additionally, all employees are entitled to leaves related to parenthood (provided they meet the requirements):

  • maternity leave, additional maternity leave, parental leave;
  • paternity leave;
  • child care leave;
  • 2 days of child care leave regardless of the child's health;
  • breastfeeding breaks;
  • special leave.